Bed Bug Bites: The Discreet Signs of an Infestation
Often the first sign of a bed bug infestation is finding bite marks on your skin.
Many people find it hard to figure out the difference between a bed bug bite and those from other insects. By looking at the location, pattern and appearance of the bites – you can figure out if bed bugs are the culprit.
How Does a Bite Occur?
Bed bugs typically feed at night while you sleep. The warmth generated from humans attracts the bed bugs who then approach the exposed skin to feed on.
The way a bed bug bites a human host is clever and discreet. They use their beaks to penetrate the skin and inject saliva that stops the blood from clotting. This saliva acts as an anaesthetic to numb the skin and prevent the victim from waking up.
This cycle can occur many times during the course of an evening. And it may involve more than one bed bug.
Symptoms of Bed Bug Bites
The effects of a bed bug bite can take several days or weeks to appear, and for some people the effects never appear. This makes it hard for people to notice they even have a bed bug problem in the first place.
While the size and severity of these bites may differ, there are common traits that make them easy to identify:
- Small, flat or raised bumps on the skin
- Redness, swelling and constant itchiness
- For children with eczema or those who are sensitive to insect bites, the bumps may develop into a nasty skin rash.
- Bite marks appear on a consistent row or line in a concentrated area. If the bites appear on different parts of the body, there may be multiple bed bugs attacking at once.
- Bites appear on parts of the skin that are exposed while you sleep. For example, the neck, arms, legs and hands.
Do You Suspect you Have Bed Bugs?
If you have good reason to suspect your bite has come from bed bugs – you need to act quickly. Always seek medical treatment if your bed bug causes serious pain or develops into a major skin infection.
Critter Busters are local experts in bed bug control and employ safe, eco-friendly and chemical-free treatment to rid your premise of these unwanted guests. We can also offer preventative tips to ensure the problem doesn’t come back later.
For an obligation-free quote on bed bug treatment, call (02) 4733 6943 for a lasting solution to your infestation.