How to Manage and Kill Bed Bugs
Have you found bed bugs in your home or business? You’re probably wondering if you should hire a pest controller or choose the DIY option.
At home, there are ways to manage a bed bug infestation. But you need time to micro-manage the problem and revise the treatment accordingly for optimal results. If you’re unfamiliar with the lifecycle and behaviour of bed bugs, treatment will be harder and success is not guaranteed.
For businesses, the extra time and effort to control an infestation is not worth the risk.
To overcome the threat of bed bugs, you need a qualified pest controller who can offer immediate results backed with a service guarantee. If you run a business, hiring a professional will also save you time and money on treatment.
Before you call the experts, there are a few steps you can take to speed up the treatment.
Identify the Pest
If you want to get rid of bed bugs, you have to make sure they’re the source of the problem.
Bed bugs are nocturnal by nature, so you’ll most likely have to look for the evidence they leave behind instead. Although bed bugs are commonly found near the mattress, they can show up elsewhere on furniture, carpet, floorboards, walls, cracks and crevices.
Here are the common tell-tale signs of a bed bug infestation:
- Blood spots on the sheets or mattress
- Shedding skin casings and faecal pellets
- Red, swollen and itching bite marks
- Musty odours in concentrated places
- Live bed bugs on the mattress, bedding or furniture
If you notice any of the above infestation signs, you should contact a licensed pest controller who knows how to kill bed bugs effectively.
DIY or Professional Treatment?
While there are DIY options, these methods are time-consuming and you have to monitor the treatment on a regular basis for it to be successful.
Bed bugs are complicated pests to manage. You need to know where they hide so you can target the right areas. You also need to understand where they could spread after you begin the treatment – or else the cycle could repeat itself.
DIY Bed Bug Treatment
Do you want to get rid of bed bugs yourself? While not recommended, here are some useful tips you can follow to manage the situation:
- Inspect the mattress, bedding and nearby carpet, furniture and floorboards for signs of infestation (i.e. blood spotting, skin casings and faecal matter)
- Wash the infected bedding and linen on the hottest temperature then place in the dryer on high for at least 30 minutes
- Thoroughly vacuum your bedding, furniture, carpeted areas, floorboards and tiled areas. If you vacuum any live bugs or eggs, dispose of the bag into the outside bin.
- Regularly clean the living spaces to reduce clutter, which increases the chance of finding bed bugs early
Professional Bed Bug Treatment
For total protection from bed bugs, a qualified pest controller knows how to efficiently kill bed bugs and offer long-term relief with a service guarantee.
Critter Busters are local experts in bed bug control and we use local knowledge to assess, treat and monitor your infestation.
With respect to your home or business, we use advanced chemical-free solutions to control bed bugs. These solutions are just as effective as pesticides and comply with Australian Standards. Depending on the severity of the infestation, this means you won’t have to leave the premise or temporarily close the business.
Afterwards, a qualified pest controller will offer preventative tips to reduce the chance of another bed bug attack.
Bust Those Critters
Get in touch with Critter Busters today for a complete bed bug solution.
Call (02) 4733 6943 to book an inspection with a licensed pest expert.